Head of the Department
Saidova Marina Abdulatipovna, MD, PhD, Professor.
The history of Ultrasound Division of the A.L. Myasnikov Research Institute of Clinical Cardiology counts several decades with a range of achievements and innovations.
The first ultrasound examination of the heart (transthoracic echocardiography) in the USSR was performed at the A.L. Myasnikov Research Institute of Clinical Cardiology in 1973. Ultrasound diagnostic group as a part of Clinical and Functional Division of the Institute was created in 1976-77 and later was transformed into Ultrasound Laboratory.
For many years Ultrasound Laboratory has been a part of the Division of New Diagnostic Methods headed by Professor Atkov O.Yu. Under his leadership the following technologies were introduced in our country for the first time: transesophageal echocardiography (1988), contrast echocardiography (1993), stress echocardiography (1996), intracoronary ultrasound (1997), and comprehensive examination of peripheral vessels (1987).
In 2003 Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Saidova Marina Abdulatipovna became the head of Ultrasound Laboratory. She continued the traditions established by the founders of the method. For the first time in Russia in 2003 she introduced the method of 3D transthoracic echocardiography into clinical practice and published the first results of its application. Subsequently new techniques were studied and introduced into clinical practice: tissue Doppler echocardiography, 2D and 3D speckle tracking echocardiography, 3D transesophageal echocardiography, myocardial contrast echocardiography using contrast agents of new generation and others.
Great success was also achieved in vascular ultrasound and in 2010 Vascular Ultrasound Laboratory was established.
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Balakhonova Tatiana Valentinovna became the head of the Laboratory. Under her leadership for the first time in Russia the examination of vessels in atherosclerotic plaque was performed using contrast agent (2013). Taking into account growing volume of scientific and diagnostic work Ultrasound Division was established in 2017. It consists of three groups: echocardiography, vascular ultrasound and ultrasound of internal organs. Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Saidova Marina Abdulatipovna became the head of Ultrasound Division.
All examinations are performed using premium and high-end ultrasound machines: Vivid E9, Vivid 7, Voluson E8 Expert, Vivid q (GE), EpiQ 5, EpiQ 7, iE33, iE22, EnVisor C HD +, HD15 (Philips).
For more than 40 years the staff has been performing a large number of ultrasound exams, transferring accumulated experience from generation to generation, improving techniques and developing new standards in cardiovascular ultrasound. Annually more than 10-15 doctors study at the division as residents and postgraduate students. More than 50 doctors from Russia and CIS countries are trained at certification courses and workplace.
Group of echocardiography
Transthoracic echocardiography is an essential part of examination of patients with different cardiovascular diseases. A number of other methods, including new echocardiographic technologies are also used.
- Transthoracic echocardiography (M-mode, B-mode, spectral, color and tissue Doppler modalities)
- 3D transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- 3D transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography with exercise
- Stress echocardiography with pharmacologic agents
- Stress echocardiography with transesophageal stimulation
- Contrast transthoracic echocardiography
- Contrast transesophageal echocardiography
- Contrast stress echocardiography with exercise
- Contrast stress echocardiography with pharmacologic agents
- Contrast stress echocardiography with transesophageal stimulation
- Dyssynchrony assessment using echocardiography
- 2D Speckle Tracking Imaging
- 3D Speckle Tracking Imaging
Group of vascular ultrasound
Vascular ultrasound is highly informative, non-invasive, reproducible and widespread modern diagnostic method. In patients with cardiovascular diseases it allows to identify:
- early changes in arterial wall (change in endothelial response, decrease in local compliance, thickening of intima-media complex)
- preclinical atherosclerotic changes in peripheral arteries – atherosclerotic plaques
- clinically significant changes in arteries (severe stenosis, unstable atheroma, hemodynamically significant arterial bending)
- deep and superficial vein thrombosis (asymptomatic and leading to pulmonary embolism)
- effects of pharmacological, endovascular or surgical treatment, as well as complications of endovascular interventions.
- Doppler sonography of arteries
- Duplex sonography of extracranial part of brachiocephalic arteries
- Transcranial duplex sonography
- Duplex sonography of lower extremity veins
- Duplex sonography of upper extremity veins
- Duplex sonography of upper extremity arteries
- Duplex sonography of lower extremity arteries with evaluation of ankle-brachial pressure index
- Duplex sonography of mammary arteries
- Duplex sonography of mammary coronary shunt
- Duplex sonography of inferior vena cava
- Duplex sonography of lower extremity veins after surgery
- Duplex sonography of lower extremity arteries after surgery (including stenting)
- Duplex sonography of brachiocephalic arteries after surgery (including stenting)
- Ultrasound control of manual compression of pulsating hematoma
- Ultrasound control of puncture site after endovascular interventions
- Sonography of upper extremity veins after pacemaker implantation
- Doppler sonography of lower extremity arteries with measurement of ankle-brachial pressure.
Group of ultrasound of internal organs
Patients with cardiovascular diseases usually have comorbidities:
kidney damage due to arterial hypertension
changes in structure of abdominal organs due to chronic heart failure, ageing, aggressive therapy
thyroid disorders: diffuse and focal changes in patients with cardiac arrhythmias and long-term therapy with antiarrhythmic drugs.
The whole range of conditions requires high level of competence and extensive experience for the assessment of individual diseases and their combination.
- Sonography of the liver
- Sonography of the gallbladder and bile ducts
- Sonography of the pancreas
- Sonography of the spleen
- Sonography of the pancreas
- Sonography of the thyroid gland
- Sonography of the mammary glands
- Sonography of the bladder
- Sonography of lymph nodes
- Duplex sonography of renal arteries
- Duplex sonography of inferior vena cava, including the assessment of IVC filters
- Duplex sonography of abdominal aorta and visceral branches
- Duplex sonography of abdominal aorta after stent grafting.
- Saidova Marina Abdulatipovna – the head of division, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor
- Balakhonova Tatiana Valentinovna – the head of group of vascular ultrasound, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor
- Pogorelova Olga Alexandrovna - Senior Researcher, PhD
- Andreevskaya Marina Vladimirovna - Researcher, PhD
- Tripoten Mariya Ilinichna - Researcher, PhD
- Shitov Viktor Nikolaevich - Junior Researcher
- Bedimogova Saida Saidnazarovna - sonographer
- Bogieva Roksana Merabovna - sonographer, PhD
- Ermolina Olga Vladimirovna - sonographer
- Dobrovolskaya Svetlana Valerievna - sonographer
- Rybkina Natalya Ilinichna - sonographer
- Amirbekyan Nvard Mikaelovna - sonographer
- Botvina Julia Vladimirovna - sonographer
- Kashurnikova Marina Viktorovna - Junior Researcher
- Vorobiyova Olga Nikolaevna - sonographer
- Belevskaya Anna Andreevna - Junior Researcher, sonographer
- Makeev Maxim Igorevich - sonographer
- Rodionova Anna Nikolaevna - sonographer
- Maksimova Maria Alexandrovna - sonographer, laboratory researcher
- Khangoev Ruslan Osmanovich – sonographer
- Prosvirnin Anton Viktorovich - laboratory researcher
- Avalian Ani Ashotovna– Junior Researcher
- Galaeva Mereta Alikhanovna- sonographer
- Smirnov Stanislav Maximovich - sonographer
- Atabaeva Lina Salimovna – specialist in functional diagnostics
- Khamchieva Leyla Shamsudinovna - laboratory researcher
- Kushnir Vera Vitalevna- Researcher